Riolu is a fighting-type baby Pokemon that evolves into Lucario. In Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl (BDSP), there is only one way to get Riolu before the endgame. You can find Riolu Egg only at a specific location. Hatch the egg to get Riolu and then evolve it to get Lucario. This guide shows how to get Riolu Egg and how to evolve Riolu into Lucario.
Riolu Egg Location
To get Riolu Egg, you need to go to Canalave City. To reach Canalava City, you will need the “Surf” Hidden Move that you will get from Cynthia’s Grandmother in Celestic City. To be able to use ‘Surf’ you need to defeat the 5th Gym Leader (Gym Leader Fantina of Hearthome City).
Once you are able to use ‘Surf’ Hidden Move, go to Jubilife City and take the west exit to Route 218, and use Surf to make your way to Canalave City.
In Canalave City, take a ship to Iron Island as shown in the picture below.
Inside the Island’s cave, you will find Riley as shown below. Escort Riley to Team Galactic (see the second picture below), and he will reward you with a Riolu Egg.
Once you have the Rilou Egg, add it to your team. Then walk enough steps for the egg to hatch.
How to evolve Riolu into Lucario
To evolve Riolu into Lucario, you need to satisfy the following criteria:
1) Riolu can evolve into Lucario only during the daytime
2) It should have at least 1 heart of Friendship (Click here to see how to check friendship level)
Once the friendship criteria are met, level up Riolu during the daytime (10 AM to 8 PM), and it will evolve into Lucario.
How to Increase Friendship
1) Get Soothe Bell. It doubles the speed of friendship points. Click here to see how to get Soothe Bell.
2) Walk around with Riolu outside its Pokeball. Click here to see how to walk around with your Pokemon.
3) Go to the massage parlor in Veilstone City.
4) Give it friendship raising Berries (Hondew berry, Grepa Berry
5) Levelling up Riolu also gives it Friendship Points.